20 July 2016

THE JOURNALIST WHO DOESN'T WRITE

I'm staring at blank pages a lot. I'm a journalism-student who's sometimes struggling to even understand what I want to say. The result is this blog post. At least for now.

The other day, I wanted to write a happy post about my day in Oslo with my best friend. Then all this shit keeps happening in the world, and it can be really hard to write about my life in this happy little bubble when the world desperately needs a wake up-call.

I could talk about my day out, or I could be speechless about the recent tragic events that’s been going on. In times like this, I’d rather be speechless. There’s been a train crash in Italy killing 27 people (an accident, but still), the awful act of terror in Nice killing 84 people, the coup-attempt in Turkey killing 290 people and injuring more than 1,400, the shooting in Baton Rouge... All tragic events happening within a week. There is so much to say, but it's so hard to say it.

There might be more people like me out there. As we're watching the news from the comfort of our own homes, we get angry. We want to say something. It's just very hard to say anything when you think too much or feel too much.

Writing used to be the most important thing in my life. I could write for hours. I could write about everything going through my head. It was simple.
Now, every time I open a document on my computer, or open my notebook, I usually close it again. There are too many things going through my head, so I can't even find the words. To be honest, I don't even know what I just wrote, I just needed to write something. I told myself I'd write more, and maybe all this thinking will soon make sense in writing.

Only time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment